Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Controller Layout

Lets talk controller layouts,

As of right now, I am trying to work out a decent 4-player layout.  I'm pulling from some nice custom cabinet designs I've seen as well as stock 4 player cabs.  I'll be extrapolating the major features from these designs and combining all the elements together into a compact and efficient layout... I hope!

First up, the 4-Player Konami cabinets:

TMNT, TMNT:Turtles In Time, The Simpsons, Sunset Riders, G.I. Joe, X-men, NBA Jam
My faves from this style cab were TMNT, Simpsons and X-Men, but rather then this turning into a review, I'll focus on the panel.  Two action buttons per player and a joystick.  Pretty simple controls, but what I'd like to make note of here is the off angles for each player.  I am not a fan of the giant span of players all along the same edge of a control panel that tend to be the norm for Mame cabs from what I've seen.  Having player 3 and 4 off to the sides keeps the panels width down.

No comments:

Post a Comment